Collins is committed to taking all reasonable measures to conduct business activities so that damage to the environment and pollution is minimised. As a business, we recognise the considerable impact that construction has on the environment and we therefore select construction methods that minimise the use of natural resources associated with the use of energy and materials. We are regularly involved in projects that follow either BREEAM or Ska assessment requirements.
Some of the ways in which we reduce our environmental impact include:
- Developing specific environmental management plans to control and minimise the impact of pollutants such as noise, dust, vibration and odours
- Assessing the environmental impact of site operations on an individual, site-by-site basis
- Encouraging our suppliers of goods and services to adopt the best environmental practices and provide goods from sustainable sources where possible, including FSC timbers
- Recycling all waste from our sites and offices including paper, plastic, cardboard and glass which is then weighed, analysed and internally monitored
- Minimising the amount of waste generated by our operations
- Ensuring all materials are reused, recycled or disposed of in a responsible manner both on site and in the head office
- Guaranteeing all communication is only printed where necessary and, where possible, double sided
- Assessing each project to determine how operations can become Carbon Neutral
- Implementing travel plans on all sites to encourage the use of more sustainable transport methods, such as cycling or walking
- Compiling furniture inventories on completion of all projects for re-use elsewhere
We have also formed a strategic partnership with Encore Environment to provide support managing waste and ensuring its correct disposal. The partnership focuses on diverting waste and reducing carbon emissions through a robust framework of suppliers, whilst challenging existing methods of waste removal and disposal as well as challenging current suppliers in a new way where end destination is paramount. Through Collins, Encore are changing preconceptions around what is achievable and supporting the Collins team to maximise the reuse of materials on all sites, whilst at the same time fulfilling obligations under BREEAM and SKA. As part of this collaboration Encore has been supplying dedicated Waste Coordinators and organising daily waste services across multiple sites and waste streams.
They follow a strict 5 stage process for each site; procurement, duty of care, project live, reporting and completion. Quality management information and reporting, with full access to project waste information, is available at any time. In addition to the above, Encore also deliver pre-construction audits, pre-start site scoping meetings and life cycle evidence and statistics on waste disposal to support Collins’ sustainability objectives.