Collins is committed to taking all reasonable measures to conduct business activities so that damage to the environment and pollution is minimised. As a business, we recognise the considerable impact that construction has on the environment and we therefore select construction methods that minimise the use of natural resources associated with the use of energy and materials. We are regularly involved in projects that follow either BREEAM or Ska assessment requirements.
In 2018, Collins took the executive decision to employ a dedicated Sustainability Manager.
Subsequently, we have reviewed, assessed and implemented measures to enhance and effectively manage sustainability at Collins. We continue to focus on people, sustainability performance, communities and the environment within which we work.
As a business we continue to maintain and uphold our ISO 14001 certification. This includes identifying and managing environmental impacts, ensuring energy and waste is managed efficiently onsite, environmental
compliance through audits, and providing time effective environmental processes.
Some of the ways in which we reduce our environmental impact include:
- Developing specific environmental management plans to control and minimise the impact of pollutants such as noise, dust, vibration and odours
- Assessing the environmental impact of site operations on an individual, site-by-site basis
- Encouraging our suppliers of goods and services to adopt the best environmental practices and provide goods from sustainable sources where possible, including FSC timbers
- Recycling all waste from our sites and offices including paper, plastic, cardboard and glass which is then weighed, analysed and internally monitored
- Minimising the amount of waste generated by our operations
- Ensuring all materials are reused, recycled or disposed of in a responsible manner both on site and in the head office
- Guaranteeing all communication is only printed where necessary and, where possible, double sided
- Assessing each project to determine how operations can become Carbon Neutral
- Implementing travel plans on all sites to encourage the use of more sustainable transport methods, such as cycling or walking
- Compiling furniture inventories on completion of all projects for re-use elsewhere