United House, Notting Hill Gate
Squire & Partners
Peter Deer & Associates
Elliott Wood Partnership
Our client, Frogmore, wanted to take this unassuming 1950's development and form up-to-date office space while tripling the floor area. The project involved the refurbishment and vertical extension of the existing North Block, which was constructed in the late 1950's on Notting Hill Gate. This is part of a wider refurbishment scheme on Notting Hill Gate Estate to provide new office spaces for tenants.
The North Block consists of four RC framed buildings, currently occupied by retail and office spaces including United House (four storeys), Campden Hill Tower (nineteen storeys) and the two storey East and West Pavilion buildings that flank the tower.
Collins added four steel and CLT slab storeys to United House and a single steel and CLT slab storey extension to the Pavilions; whilst the ground and first floor retail units remained in use. Collins also re-clad the existing façade of United House with terracotta cladding, curtain walling and stone, which was supported on a new secondary steel frame.
All new M&E was installed to the building along with three new plant enclosures. New lifts were installed to the building through levels two to five, as well as a new entrance sesame lift which was installed to the stair area allowing for DDA access. Green roofs were laid to the new level two roof area and new granite paving installed to the level two and five terrace areas.
To the rear of the unit is Bulmer Place, which was totally re-surfaced to eliminate the kerb line, where a new compactor store, bike shed and refuse stores were installed along with new planters and bollards.
The rear brickwork was painted black to obscure the existing plant and AC units from the neighbours.
United House is now occupied by The Office Group, where they offer private offices, coworking space and meeting rooms.